Monday, December 22, 2014

Joyeux Noel!!!! And ain't no thang but a boo thang.

Mes chere Soeurs! 

I've been a slacker the last few weeks. I'm so sorry! 

Things are moving along here in Ogden. I finally got a calling and I'm thrilled! I'm on Compassionate Service committee. I'm super excited to be working with the Relief Society women and to be able to work on developing my "observe then serve" skills. 

Things with the boy are progressing nicely. 


That's us making a gingerbread house this past week. (Please note the unintentional shirt coordination. #unity)

I hung out with his family last night at his parents' house. Always a little awkward but I think things are getting better. They LOVE playing games. And the more ridiculous, the better. We're talking crazy charades and acting games and all kinds of things. There is no room for comfort zones at his parents' house. But it's fun. I'm not one who enjoys making a fool of myself in front of strangers/people I'm trying to impress but you do what you've got to do. 

The other day when I was over there, his mom mentioned that she couldn't find her movie Elf and that she didn't feel like it was Christmas till she watched it. Well, I took that as a great opportunity to get some brownie points with the boo thang's mom. Every time I went to a store, like Walmart or Target, this week I looked for it. And as luck would have it, they were ALWAYS sold out. Are you kidding me? It became a bit of a mission to find the thing. I searched everywhere. By Saturday night, I was thinking things were getting a little ridiculous. I went to three stores that day, all of them sold out. On the way home from my failed mission, I had to grab a few groceries for the family so I ran to Smith's Food King. I had a vague memory of them selling movies so I walked over to the small entertainment section at the front of the store. They had a whole display of Christmas movies. It was my final hope. I searched all the shelves up and down. Nothing. You have got to be kidding?! In my despair and disbelief, I had one quite thought enter my mind...."What if it's just hiding behind another movie?" Thank you Holy Ghost! I started searching and sure enough, behind the Scooby Doo Christmas special was the long searched for Elf. Blessed be the day! I grabbed it and a bag a Ghirardelli's Peppermint Bark and called it a night. 

I gave it to her last night and I think she appreciated it. Unfortunately, I was just a little too late. They had ordered the movie online a little bit before I got there so they could watch it. Haha oh well! At least now she has a copy for next year.

My brother is also progressing well. Its a really slow process though. He got moved to the rehab floor just over a week ago. He is healing physically really well but mentally....that's another story. Some days he's doing really well, others not so much. I've been sick so I haven't been able to see him. Yesterday was the first day I've physically seen him in almost two weeks. I chat with him on the phone sometimes. He told me the other day to pick him up some gram crackers while I was at the store. He's so funny. He just says funny things all the time. Its like he's a little kid sometimes. Yesterday was a good day for him. Other days he's really angry and can't remember anything. We have more good days than bad days I think. 

It's Christmas mes Soeur! Joyeux Noel! Every Christmas Eve my family goes to my aunt's and we eat fried rice and drink Hawaiian Punch. Christmas we'll be skyping with my little brother at the hospital so he can talk to Chase then we're going to my brother's house in Sandy. It'll be an interesting year for sure. 

I'm so excited that you'll get to skype with your families as well! Its always the weirdest and best part of the day. 

I miss you mes Soeur. 

Sister Flores is home! Her mom asked me to sing (seriously? me?) at her homecoming. I sang a duet with a Sister who served in France that knows her. It was one of those small world moments because we were in the MTC together! I brought the boy with me to her homecoming. There were a few former CMMers there so it was fun to show him off a bit. :) 

I'm praying for you Soeurs! I love you and think of you often....even if I forget to send out a Monday email. The Lord lives. What a miracle that is. 

Someone made a really interesting comment yesterday at church which I really loved. He said that one thing that always stood out to him about the Christmas Story was the star and how the star lead people to Christ. Then he said, "The living prophet is a living star pointing us to where Christ is. If we follow him, he will lead us to Christ." What a beautiful thought! Maybe we don't have one star in the sky shining brighter than the rest to guide us but we do have a living prophet, called of God, chosen to lead us to the Christ. 

We are never left alone. 

Merry Christmas mes Soeurs! I am so grateful for the service you are doing out there in the world. What a blessing you are to your families at home and to all those families and individuals you come in contact with. Share Christ's love. Lead people to Christ.  "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matt. 5:16, 3 Nephi 12:16)

Bisous! 

Soeur Tribe

No comments:

Post a Comment