Monday, May 6, 2013

First Email!


Bonjour ma famille!
Hopefully that's how you spell that. Well, I'm a missionary. That's kind of weird. And its even weirder that it's not weird. I really enjoy it here! It's pretty crazy, they just kind of throw you in head first. Baptism by fire for sure. My first day here, my language teacher, Soeur Dix, only spoke French. It was intense. And the rest of the Soeurs and Elders in my district (classroom) all had past experience with the language. I was the last to arrive but that was ok. I'm in a trio with Soeur Edwards and Soeur Herrera. Love them! They are so sweet and have such wonderful testimonies about the gospel. They are awesome. There are six of us in our district, two trios. The Elders are Elder Lynch, from Scotland , Elder Sanchez and Elder Peck. I love them! They are awesome and so diligent and fun. We have a good time. Elder Lynch the other day was teaching us Scottish words. I'll send a picture. We all get along great. There was one other district that came in French speaking on May 1st and they are all Elders. Love them as well. We all sit together at lunch and joke around. It's really neat, some of the Elders and Soeur Herrera speak English and Spanish and are learning French and will be speaking all three languages in Montreal! So impressed by them. Not all the Elders and Soeurs in our district are going to Montreal. Elder Sanchez, Elder Peck and Soeur Edwards are all going to Madagascar and Elder Lynch is going to Togo Africa but we're all learning French. It's so cool! The other new district and Soeur Herrera and I are going to Montreal. Very exciting! I love it already. I just want to run up there right now, but then I talk to people from Quebec, and they tell me that, that French of theirs is crazy and everyone speaks super fast and I realize I need to stay here and learn a lot more haha.
All of the older Elders and Soeurs in our zone (lots of classrooms/districts) are going to France. Some to Leon? and some to Paris. Of course, I told them all to say hi to Jarrahlee for me when they get there. There are like 44 of them leaving for France next week! That's like two zones I think but the moral of the story is that they are all leaving! And then we will be the "old" missionaries for the newbies who come in on the 15th. Mercy. I still feel like I'm trying to learn everything. I was called to be the Sister Training Leader so I'll be working with the two new Zone Leaders to welcome, mentor and train them. Blows my mind. I'm not sure how I'll do it, but I know with the Lord I will be able to. Time to work on my observation skills. At least I know the Lord is aware of them at all times and he'll point things out to me.
I LOVE Soeur Dix! (Our language teacher). Love her. She is so kind and loving and fun and normal and amazing. And she got engaged! Just since we've been here. Like day one, no ring. Day...three? ring. We were all so excited for her! And by we, I mean Soeur Herrera, Soeur Edwards and I. Days seem to run together here and a day feels like a week. You just do so much each day! And you learn so much. Its exhausting in the best way. I can already kind of pray in French! And bare my testimony. Well part of it. Each day we're learning more. The language is so intense. And they just throw you right into it. You begin teaching the third day you're here. In French. Yeah, good luck with that one Soeur Tribe. Our first lesson was pretty rough but the second went really well. Even though we're trying to talk to this investigator in BROKEN French he gets it because the Spirit is there. We do our best to learn the language of the gospel and then try to piece it together with some French and then just have faith. And the spirit is always there! I love it. Its such an amazing thing.
I wanted to quickly share about personal revelation. We had mission conference on Sunday and I had prayed the night before to help me know what to share with Philippe (our investigator) about the Fall and Adam and Eve. Tough topic. Anyways, at conference, the MTC president stood up and talked about Adam and Eve and the Fall! He stated it so simply I just knew it was an answer to my prayer! I also was inspired to just tell Philippe that we want to understand him and we're trying, but even when we don't know how to explain something or we mess up the language we know what we're saying is true. I love this gospel! God answers prayers even when you're not expecting it. He loves us so much.
I love you all and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to be here!
Love,
Soeur Tribe
P.S. Letters are awesome. Dearelder.com letters are the best so if anyone ever feels bored, feel free to write!
I'm going to try and attach some pictures so look for those!






1 comment:

  1. I find it amazing to read/hear the experiences of missionaries that truly prepared themselves to go out and serve!! Kimmy you're on your way to be a worker of miracles, and you're only in Provo! Amazing!!!! May The Lord continue to bless your heart and mind with the gift of tongues.

    ReplyDelete